Tuesday, April 21, 2009

HERE IS (MAYBE) THE NEWS??


There's an interesting post on Reuter's Fan Fare blog ahead of Jeff Lynne's interview and Golden Note Award on Friday in Los Angeles.  It's the first real sign that he's been working on his own material since the lead-up to Zoom in 2001.

Lynne, the bearded Svengali famed for leading the art-rock band Electric Light Orchestra, is also working on a solo album, which he hopes to release later this year. It would be the follow-up to his first solo outing, 1990’s “Armchair Theatre.”
Although we've been down this road before in terms of timeline, it's encouraging.  And, says the report:
He has just finished producing five tracks at his home studio with singer/songwriter Regina Spektor, and plans to work on some songs with Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh.
Hopefully that means five songs that all made the album.  We're all still awaiting Far's finalized track list.  The Joe Walsh material will probably take a while since The Eagles are touring at least through July.

5 comments:

swarlock said...

It's been a long time coming. And I suspect a lot of it has to do with the loss of one band member and another he admired and shared good times with.

We'll see.

In the meantime I know what tracks I'll be playing on my next edition for a local College Station in New York. ;)

TrekkiELO said...

This long awaited Jeff Lynne solo album for 2009 is great news indeed, now hopefully Armchair Theatre, Zoom and ELO's Greatest Hits Live will finally see their release in conjunction like the first batch of ELO remasters were in '01!

Barry said...

That's fantastic news, indeed. I hope Joe Walsh is a ways off, because I could see that interrupting the release of the solo album pretty easily. In fact, knowing that this is in the works, I'm moderately annoyed at Regina Spektor. She almost certainly delayed something. I hope that something the caliber of "Every Little Thing" or "Blown Away" are on this set. While the consistent quality of Zoom made it a welcome (and still played) addition, I didn't get the sort of knockout track on that set in the manner I'm accustomed with Jeff. The closest for me was Ordinary Dream.

Jerry said...

*Gasp* Bite your tongue, Barry! :-)

Actually, the Regina Spektor stuff has enormous potential and if it proves to be a success for Jeff, it could make releasing his own album easier and higher profile. I just hope he strikes while the iron is hot, so to speak. I can't wait to hear her tracks with Jeff. Her quirkiness and his trippy production could be an extremely enjoyable combination.

Greg Sapara said...

I hope this is true - it's been far too long since Jeff released an album.