Monday, February 11, 2008

AND THE GRAMMY GOES TO...

It's unrelated, I know.  But, I have to hand it to a good friend who predicted big things for Amy Winehouse a year ago when she was practically unknown, especially in the USA.  While vacationing in Mexico last March, my friend gave me his iPod and said, "listen to this..." and told me the story (true or not) about how Winehouse's label wouldn't release Back To Black until she went to rehab.  She then wrote Rehab.  The song instantly clicked with me and I spent the subsequent six months listening to that CD almost exclusively.

Then last night, after months of seeing a very wild life played out in public, she gets on stage in London, sings two songs that perfectly encapsulate her (& her turbulence)and afterwards, Rehab wins the Record of the Year Grammy.  Now, that's poetry from arguably the most fascinating figure in pop music in a long time.

Other than that, the Beatles tribute was wonderful and it was great to the Beatles' Love pick up 2 statues.  George Martin's gesture to pull Ringo up to the stage with him and his son was nice, but Ringo spent a little too much time at the mic.

No comments: