Wednesday, October 24, 2007

TICKET TO THE MOON

Not including box sets and special editions, Ticket To The Moon is the 36th compilation title in my (and probably many other's) private collection.  With its companion CD, All Over The World, this would be the current definitive 2-disc retrospective of the band's works for the masses.  In an overall sense, it'll do.  But for my money, there is no career retrospective unless it starts with Fire On High and finishes with Hello My Old Friend. I still compile the ELO retrospectives for friends who want them... and they get it.

Ticket To The Moon had a lot going for it quality-wise since it was being companioned with All Over The World.  But, it fell to the cheap side.

Right out the gate, Twilight barges in with no fade and ends with the intro to Yours Truly, just as it's indexed on the Time CD.  To me, that says no effort was put into this.  Can't Get It Out Of My Head still starts with a rough edit.  I thought that's what Pro-Tools was for!  These are easy fixes!

Secret Messages and Eldorado had fast (and rather thoughtless) fades at the end when a more prolonged fade could have made a better dramatic statement.  Again, we're dealing with the masses, the hardcore fans already know what's going to happen next.  I figured this would be a good time to smooth over the tape flaws on Calling America and It's Over.  I figured incorrectly.

I try not to nickpick at the track list too much.  It may be an ideal track list for someone out there.  But Starlight?  If we're going to highlight album tracks from Out Of The Blue, why not put something a little more daring and edgy, like Jungle or Birmingham BluesStarlight is just more light pop.

Heaven Only Knows.  Two words: alternate version.

Eldorado.  Wonderful track, but very out of place here.

In My Own Time. Good.  I'm glad this made it on here.  Of all the songs on Zoom, this was the one that really brings out the qualities in Jeff's voice.  And it's an airtight pop song.  I've always loved this one.

Besides the sleeve notes which help, the bare minimum was done for the packaging as well.  A dinky tri-fold computer graphics cover, with a spaceship (naturally) and a generic and rather artifical-looking backside and inlays. 

How possible is it in the next go-around to have a dignified-looking career retrospective?  I mean, Flashback is great, but come on.  Come back to Earth once in a while and appear to try.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of career retrospectives and tracklists, why no more songs from Xanadu, like, "I'm Alive" and "Don't Walk Away"!

Anonymous said...

"I try not to nickpick at the track list too much.  It may be an ideal track list for someone out there.  But Starlight?  If we're going to highlight album tracks from Out Of The Blue, why not put something a little more daring and edgy, like Jungle or Birmingham Blues.  Starlight is just more light pop.

...

In My Own Time. Good.  I'm glad this made it on here.  Of all the songs on Zoom, this was the one that really brings out the qualities in Jeff's voice.  And it's an airtight pop song.  I've always loved this one."

See, this is where two Jeff Lynne fans can differ!  I always loved Starlight -- great feel, harmonies, and keyboards.  On the other hand, I always felt In My Own Time was the most derivative and honestly, kinda boring track of the otherwise exceptional Zoom.  Even Just For Love, itself owing a great debt to Across the Universe, feels more like an ELO tune to me, and has enough layered sound to keep you coming back for more.  Different strokes for different folks!  (But Jeff does give a great vocal performance on IMOT, I'll give ya that.)